PKP S.A. was established on 1 January 2001 as a result of the commercialisation of the Polish State Railways state enterprise. The sole shareholder is the State Treasury. The history of the company dates back to 1926. In this year the PKP state enterprise was established.
From 1989, the structure of PKP has undergone several changes. These changes ended with the passing of the Act (of 8 September 2000) on the commercialisation, restructuring and privatisation of the “Polskie Koleje Państwowe” state enterprise, dividing PKP into a number of smaller companies which form the PKP Group. PKP S.A. was also established then.
PKP S.A. plays a special role in the PKP Group. It supervises and coordinates the activities of the other companies, as well as sets objectives for the individual companies and ensures that they are implemented. It also coordinates the communication and marketing actions of the entire PKP Group.
A separate role of PKP S.A. is to exercise owner supervision and privatise the companies belonging to the PKP Group.
PKP S.A. is also the owner of a large part of railway stations in Poland. The company owns over 22 thousand apartments and over 100 thousand parcels of real estate, of which about 10 thousand has commercial potential and is intended for sale.
The programme of “optimisation of real property management” provides for the sale of redundant plots of land, transfer of railway stations of minor importance for passenger traffic to local governments, and sale of railway stations under the “Take over a Railway Station” programme.